Basic Admission Requirements for Post-baccalaureate Applicants
Admission for post-baccalaureate applicants is determined by the department, not by the Office of Admissions. Additional admissions requirements and exceptions to the admissions requirements vary by major. If you are interested in pursuing Post-baccalaureate coursework please consult the major department before applying for admission.
Degree Seeking Post-baccalaureate
Students who would like to earn a subsequent undergraduate degree from OSU may apply for degree seeking Post-baccalaureate admission through the Office of Admissions. Applicants for consideration must submit an admission application along with official transcripts of all college work by the application deadline. College transcripts must include confirmation that a Bachelor's degree has been earned. Generally, applicants must meet the following admission requirements:
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited institution
- 2.25 accumulated GPA requirements. The GPA is computed on the first baccalaureate degree plus any subsequent credit earned.
- Complete College Algebra and English Composition with a C- or better
- Submit Statement of Objectives of 150 to 200 words with their application
- Provide transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges/universities
- Academic departments may impose additional requirements
- Nonrefundable $65.00 application fee*
Please note that academic performance is not the sole criterion for admission to the university. The university may evaluate a person's behavior and background to determine their ability to maintain the standards of academic and professional conduct expected at the university. Applicants who are ineligible to re-enroll at any college or university that they attended within the last seven years for student conduct reasons will be automatically declined admissions at OSU. Applicants who disclose that the reason for their ineligibility is for academic reasons will be admitted only if they meet OSU's minimum academic requirements.
You cannot earn a Post-baccalaureate degree in the same field in which you earned your original degree.
English Test Scores
Students who completed a significant amount of their education in a country outside the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom, English-speaking Canada, or New Zealand may be asked to submit English proficiency test scores. The tests must have been taken within the last two years from the term you are applying for.
Students who want to earn a subsequent credential or certificate from OSU may apply using the Post-baccalaureate Admission Application, and should clarify their educational goals in the Statement of Objectives. Students must complete the current requirements for the credential or certificate and receive the dean's approval. Students must also achieve a minimum GPA of 2.00 and complete a minimum of 15 credits in residence at OSU. A nonrefundable $65.00 admission application fee is charged. Students pursuing an additional credential or certificate will be categorized as Non-degree Credentials at OSU and not eligible to receive federal financial aid.
- Minor Credential: Additional minor earned after undergraduate work is completed. Baccalaureate work can be completed at OSU or another institution. Students that previously completed a Baccalaureate degree from Oregon State or another college cannot enter the same degree program as the degree program they graduated as an undergraduate.
- Major Credential: Additional major earned after undergraduate work is completed at OSU. Major credential must be completed within the same degree program.
- Option Credential: Additional option earned after undergraduate work is completed at OSU. Option credential must be completed within the same degree and major program.
- Certificate: A structured progression of courses that constitute a coherent body of study with a defined focus within a single discipline or a logical combination of disciplines. Undergraduate certificates can be earned at by students with a prior bachelor’s degree, either at OSU or at another regionally accredited college or university, or as a credential seeking graduate or undergraduate in conjunction with an OSU degree. The Certificate requirements and pre-requisites are defined at the college level.
International applicants should also refer to the admissions procedures for undergraduate/graduate international students for deadlines, test score requirements, and additional information.