Difference in types of undergraduate degrees


How do I know how to choose between a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in my major?
A number of OSU majors have options to choose between a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.). The general difference is that students pursuing a B.A. need to demonstrate second-year university-level proficiency in a foreign language (including American Sign Language), either by successfully completing university-level coursework in the study of that language or by showing proficiency on a placement test offered by the OSU. 

The BFA is a degree that is given for certain performance fields, like theater, digital arts and music. It can also be said that the Bachelor of Fine Arts consists more of studio-oriented classes.

If in doubt, you may always consult the website of these programs for more information and/or contact the department directly. Remember that your application for admission just provides your intended area of study. Through work with your advisor, you may make changes once enrolled

Honors Degrees (HBA, HBS, HBFA)

Students completing the honors college curriculum receive an honors degree in the college of their major, e.g., HBS Honors Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, or HBA Honors Bachelor of Arts in English. In some cases it might be possible for an Honors College student to earn multiple degrees simultaneously, each of which would be recorded as an Honors degree.

Students seeking an honors degree must meet the requirements of the Honors College in order to receive their degree. Students that complete an Honors degree will have the honors degree recorded on their academic record. The student’s diploma will also include the honors degree designation (e.g., Honors Bachelor of Science, etc.).