(haga clic aquí para ver esta página en español)

HB 2787: What is it?

House Bill 2787 provides  certain students  an exemption from nonresident tuition and fees at Oregon public universities. In summary, OSU may grant in-state tuition for undocumented students who have: attended elementary or secondary/high school in a state or territory of the U.S. for at least five years; studied at an Oregon school for at least the three years prior to earning your high school diploma or GED; graduated from an Oregon high school or received a GED in Oregon; and show intention to become a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.

What does it mean?

First-time undergraduates (freshmen and transfers) who are admitted to Oregon State University, and meet the requirements of HB 2787, may be assessed in-state tuition rates at Oregon State University beginning fall term 2013.  Please note:  the assessment of in-state tuition rates under HB 2787 does not change a student’s residency status.   

How to apply?

Students should follow the normal steps to apply for admission.  Students wishing to be considered for in-state tuition rates under HB 2787 should apply using a domestic admissions application and answer the citizenship question as ‘non-U.S. citizen’. Before an  application for admission will be considered complete,  a student will need to submit either an affidavit or our Tuition Equity Statement, whichever is appropriate to the student’s individual situation.  Completion of one of these documents is required if you are an undocumented student. If you are a non-degree seeking student who may qualify for HB 2787, please contact the Office of Admissions after submitting your non-degree application. 

How to submit paperwork if you qualify under HB 2787?

The affidavit required for HB 2787 consideration needs to be completed and submitted to:

Oregon State University
Office of Admissions
104 Kerr Administration Building
Corvallis, OR 97331

Please note:  this is the process for new admission applicants only!  Current OSU students that wish to be considered for in-state tuition under HB 2787 should contact the Admissions office for details on that process.

How to submit paperwork, if you are undocumented but do not qualify for HB2787?

The Tuition Equity Statement is required if you are undocumented and do not qualify for HB2787. Your admission application will not be considered complete until all required academic documents and the Tuition Equity Statement is submitted electronically to Oregon State.

Do undocumented students qualify for merit based aid?

Yes, some OSU scholarships are available to undocumented students.  This includes Academic Achievement Awards, Diversity Achievement Scholarships and consideration for OSU’s Presidential Scholarship.

Are undocumented students eligible for state or federal forms of financial aid (ie, FAFSA)?

No. There are, however, some private and local scholarship resources that may be available to assist undocumented students in their pathway to college. Undocumented students should consult with their high school counselor or admissions advisor for further information on these resources.

Other questions?  

For more information about applying to Oregon State as an undocumented student and undocumented student resources, please visit our undocumented student page.

View our HB 2787 Frequently Asked Questions flyer.

Please contact the Office of Admissions at 800-291-4192.